Worry-Free, Fast-Rooting Sod
- Prepare your site before receiving your sod. Learn more in our soil preparation section.
- Lightly sprinkle water on the bare soil, as you install your new lawn. This will cool the soil, providing a better environment for new tender roots.
- Spread BioGrass Suståne 4-6-4 over bare soil to ensure proper establishment. 1 50 lbs. bag will cover 2,000 square feet.
- Using a hose, water each piece of sod within 15 minutes of being laid on the soil.
- Butt edges and ends of sod tightly against each other. Do not leave any gaps, overlap or stretch sod.
- For best results, stay off your new lawn for two weeks.
- Stagger the joints in each row in a brick-like pattern. Lay sod lengthwise across slopes to help it retain moisture. Start along the longest straight edge, such as a sidewalk or driveway.
- Use a BioGrass sod knife to cut and trim the sod around objects such as flower beds and sprinklers.
- Avoid using narrow strips of sod (less than six inches wide) near perimeter areas like sidewalks. These narrow strips will not retain moisture.
- Give your new lawn one inch of water within half an hour of completed installation. (Remember to water each piece within 15 minutes after being laid on the soil.) When finished, the lawn should be “squishy-wet.” This is the only time you will water the sod to the point of being “squishy-wet.”
- Water your new lawn two to three times during the hottest part of the day for the first two weeks. Short, frequent waterings are best, 5-20 minutes on each cycle. (Shorter for spray heads, longer for impact or rotors.)
- Keep your new lawn moist, but not soaked. Water as needed to maintain adequate moisture. New BioGrass lawn establishment usually takes two weeks, depending on weather, temperatures, etc
- Change your sprinkler timer according to the demands of your lawn and the environment. Common factors are: wind, rain, sunlight, shade and reflected light.
- Established lawns consume one inch or less of water per week, depending on the type of grass.
- Remember, sod is perishable and requires proper care. Please install your sod within 24 hours of receiving it. Mow your new lawn 7-10 days after installation. And keep it moist. Contact BioGrass if you need more help.