Worry-Free, Fast Rooting Sod
- Prepare your site before receiving your sod. Learn more in our soil preparation section.
- Lightly sprinkle water on the bare soil, as you install your new lawn. This will cool the soil, providing a better environment for new tender roots.
- Spread BioGrass Suståne 4-6-4 over bare soil to ensure faster rooting and to alleviate transplant shock. One 50lb. bag will cover 2,000 square feet.
- Using a hose, water each piece of sod within 15 minutes of being laid on the soil.
- Butt edges and ends of sod tightly against each other. Do not leave any gaps, overlap or stretch sod.
- Stagger the joints in each row in a brick-like pattern. Lay sod lengthwise across slopes to help it retain moisture. Start along the longest straight edge, such as a sidewalk or driveway.
- Use a BioGrass sod knife to cut and trim the sod around objects such as flower beds and sprinklers.
- Avoid using narrow strips of sod (less than six inches wide) near perimeter areas like sidewalks. These narrow strips will not retain moisture.
- Give your new lawn one inch of water within half an hour of completion. When finished, the lawn should be “squishy-wet.” This is the only time you will water the sod to the point of being “squishy-wet.”
- Water your new lawn enough to keep it consistently moist throughout the hottest part of the day for the first few weeks. Short, frequent waterings are best. (Shorter for spray heads, longer for impact or rotors.) Keep your new lawn moist, but not soaked.
- New BioGrass lawn establishment usually takes between 2 and 5 weeks, depending on weather, yard conditions, etc.
- Change your sprinkler timer according to the demands of your lawn and the environment. Common factors are: wind, rain, sunlight, shade and reflected light. (sod near concrete or in park strips may require more water and sod in shady areas may require less)
- For best results, stay off your new lawn for a few weeks.
- Established lawns consume one inch or less of water per week, depending on the type of grass.
- Remember, sod is perishable and requires proper care. Please install your sod within 12-24 hours of receiving it. Wait to mow your new lawn for at least 10-14 days after installation. And keep it moist. Contact BioGrassif you need more help.
*See New Sod Care for more information.